Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Jaunt Up North

I found out this weekend that though this is a small island (comparative to the USA), the weather can change rapidly from one end to another. Despite the fact that I checked the weather report (which is a very necessary thing to do here!), I still didn't quite feel prepared for the rainy and WINDY weather of North England. (London, of course, was beautifully sunny both days.)

We left early Saturday morning, and because I knew little of the itinerary, I was a bit surprised to find out that the bus ride would take us 5 hours to get there. The beauty of the English countryside helped pass the time, yet I was relieved when we arrived in York. Following a partial tour of the city (my half of the group got separated from our guide) and a walk through of the Minster, I was quite fascinated by the rich history of this city.

After checking into our hostel (nothing like 'em), a few of us headed back into town to go on a ghost tour. York is supposedly haunted, and even after hearing various "spooky" accounts, I am not convinced. Nevertheless, it was a very "York" thing to do, and cheap, which I always love. Plus, the guide was very amusing -- I always appreciate a dynamic and funny tour. I missed London immediately though, because it took us over an hour to find a suitable (not outrageously priced) restaurant at 8:30 PM. Thankfully pub grub was available, and I had what seemed like the best meal of my life (butternut squash pie, veggies, mashed potatoes, and some sort of raspberry crumble). YUM! (I did not feel guilty by the way, because we walked for hours!)

Today was another rainy day experience, and I looked ridiculous with multiple layers on while the natives wore short sleeves, but at least I was warm! Our first stop was Fountains Abbey, the ruins of an old monastery. The grounds were some of the most beautiful and enormous that I have ever seen (over 500 acres). Next, we headed to Haworth to see the Bronte Parsonage, where the famous authors, the Bronte sisters, grew up. I wasn't so sure about this location originally, but the village was absolutely charming. I wish we hard more time to explore it, but following a quick afternoon tea lunch, we headed back to London.

Five and a half hours later, I found myself on the tube once again, getting off at Lambeth North. This weekend was definitely not what I imagined, but it was a wonderful way to meet other students in my program, which can be very difficult task. During this weekend, as my hair continued to expand with humidity, my umbrella betrayed me in the wind, and my glasses fogged up, there was no way I could not laugh at the ridiculous moments. Though I loved seeing Northern England, it was such a wonderful break from the city. I definitely appreciate London a lot more now.

Still missin' you all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your weekend was quite the adventure.

    Love you tons.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily and I are home all week. Email us on the home account if you want to chat. Can't wait for the next blog entry.

    Love and miss you

    Mom

    ReplyDelete