Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I have to go to class?

Before I can explain Monday, I need to share a bit more about the events on Sunday night. I met up with another one of the scholarship recipients, we headed over to the pub night in Central London and watched the final World Cup game. I will definitely never forget the humid, hot, and energetic bar that I was crammed in for 2+ hours. (Drunk English men, screaming for hours at a screen is quite entertaining.) I met a few more of the students in my program, and ran through the streets celebrating Spain's victory. Talk about something that doesn't happen in the States...

Yesterday was Day One of classes at the University of Westminster. I was able to navigate the tube once again, and led my peers to the correct Westminster campus. The day was a bit chaotic with an orientation, lunch, fire alarm, brief introductory class, coffee break, and more class. The course I am taking is centered around writing pieces about the culture of London. Each day will be a new topic, and I am thankful to study something unique to the place I am in! My class has seven students...3 Americans (2 from Iowa, me), 2 Russians (from Moscow), 1 Chinese (from Shanghai), and 1 South Korean (from Busan). The little bit of a language barrier is a fun challenge, I will keep you updated on that.

If there has been a theme to my jam-packed first week, it has been walking. I am sure I walked close to 10 miles yesterday, easy. I love it though, it means I can go to pastry shops every day (and I don't feel guilty). After a quick dinner with another AZ girl, the other two people in my scholarship program and I walked around London for 2.5 hours last night. We rode the doubledecker city buses, ate ice cream, and felt the city's pulse after dark. We decided that Monday nights will be our long walks nights.

With the rainy weather in London today I am actually happy to be away from the AZ sun. It is a nice (temporary, of course) change. Love to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Experiencing the World Cup in Europe is definitely a treat! Long walks around London, tasty pastries, entertaining drunk English men...I dont think you are coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise I will! However, I could definitely stay longer than a month :)

    ReplyDelete