Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First 1/2 Day in London

We survived! After a 9(ish) hour flight, my parents and I made it to the UK. Let's just say that on the way we learned the entire life story of the woman in front of us, so sleep didn't really happen. (My dad even watched three movies...but couldn't remember the names of 2 of the 3, not sure that is a good sign. Sleep deprivation at its finest.) Nevertheless, I am so happy to report that the flight was nearly perfect.

Upon landing, we decided to hit the ground running. I quickly found out my different travel style from my parents. Patience is key; thus, they are a wonderful influence because I had to slow down and actually enjoy the views. Speaking of which, we went on the London Eye this afternoon. One item of my bucket list completed. It was definitely a labor of love for my parents though, both of whom are not too fond of heights. Prior to the LE, we went on a tour of the Thames River...and I will never forget our tour guide. I am pretty sure it was her first day, she didn't know what to say, so a colleague had to take over. Surprisingly, I handled the boat pretty well, I just blocked it out of my mind. Maybe this fear is going away, but I don't see a cruise in my future anywhere soon.

As we were on our way back to our hotel, we came across the most magnificent bakery. A Parisian pastry chef has it decorated in a way that reminds me of my friend Meg. With a cappuccino and a treat, it was the perfect end to the day. I plan to log many hours in that spot, perfect place to do homework!

With just a few hours of walking around today, I already feel extremely blessed and cannot fully fathom what a month will be like here.

Also, for those of you are who are curious...my hair is officially a lion's mane. Thanks humidity.

More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I can almost picture it! I am so excited! You are not going to want to come back.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete