Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I am a city girl

As you all have probably noticed, I tend to write my blog every few days. As of now, it seems to be the most sensible interval. So from now on, expect to read a new entry every 2 days.

Back to my musings...I mentioned this in my last post, but boy am I happy to be back in the city. I think this time in London has also established that I am a city girl through and through. I never knew this for sure until I had to see the stark contrast between North England and London in such a short amount of time. (Don't fret though, Phoenix is still my favorite place to be!)

Let's start with explaining yesterday's events. Truly, it was a very mellow day for me, but lovely nonetheless. I started off by going to class, and we had a guest lecturer speaking to us about London fashion Post-WWII to Present. Following the morning session, we all traveled via tube to the Victoria & Albert Museum (V & A). I could barely contain my excitement as I walked up the steps...inside was something I had been dying to see, "Grace Kelly: Style Icon" Exhibition. (Now for those of you who want to laugh at me for my grandmotherly tastes, this is your opportunity...) Petsa, our lecturer, took us through the Theatre, Fashion, and Jewelry sections of the museum. I saved the best for last. I cannot even describe how much I wanted to jump into the display cases and try on Grace Kelly's clothes. The exhibit also included a lovely mixture of film clips from her movies, anecdotes of her life, accessories, dresses, etc. I think I may go back!

When I returned to the International House, I decided that I would go to see War Horse with a few friends from my program. (It had been only a few days, and I already missed the West End.) We have heard from everyone (friends from home, professors, etc.), that this is the best show in town. Let me tell you...it was incredible, and unlike anything I have ever seen before. It basically, is a few hours of amazing puppetry, poignant acting, and beautiful ballads. I am afraid that nothing I will write will do the work justice, so if you want to know more...look it up! L.O.V.E.

Today was another low-key day. I went to class this morning, and we discussed our impending portfolio articles which are due on the last day. The time flew by though, and I am still very much enjoying the class. In the afternoon I searched for this restaurant I had heard about, Hummus Bros., which was fabulously yummy. They make their own hummus, and you add whatever you like (I added carrots, pita, sun-roasted tomatoes, and chicken!). Then...I gave in to tempting Oxford Street and spent a bit (really only a bit) of money at Uniqlo, my home away from home. I walked back across the beautiful millennium bridge, and am now writing in my favorite cafe. (The one my parents and I discovered!)

Right after I finish this entry I am heading back to my dorm, will shower and get ready for my program's guided walk through the City of London and Pub Crawl. We shall see how that goes :)

Lovin' you from London.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie,

    Love the latest update. Everytime you go to the cafe I can picture you there having a coffee and pastry! Class sounds wonderful, what great insight into London.

    Can't wait for the next entry.

    Love you tons

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete