Well, these last five/six days are a complete blur now. I just said goodbye to my parents and cannot believe that I am officially by myself. I am both exhilarated and terrified. I like my box, and (thankfully with my parents' initial comfort and guidance), I am forced to see what it's like elsewhere.
We managed to knock even a few more items off our bucket list today. First Task: experience (the only appropriate word) a London market. Camden Lock market has been suggested to me by many, and it was not a disappointment. The most eclectic mix of personalities, lifestyles, and cultures were present in this neighborhood. My mom and I could have spent the full day there, but only subjected Dad to a few hours. We ended up spending a decent amount of money on extra souvenirs. (Mom and Dad are taking my items back...my full suitcase is sure to pose a problem on my return to the US.)
How can you go to London without seeing one of the many fabulous museums? We decided to make that happen today. The National Gallery was a surprise to us all. Masterpieces created by Botticelli, Renoir, Monet, Da Vinci, etc. (the list is interminable), are housed here. I very much enjoyed this special exhibit entitled: Close Examination: Fakes, Mistakes and Discoveries. It shared the secrets of new technology which identifies fake pieces and even restoration techniques. All of us were amazed by the vast amount of pieces, and the beauty of the building itself.
Now being tube experts (except for Dad, who managed to de-magnetize his tube pass every time), we traveled back to our hotel. We ended our experience together at the County Hall Bakery once again. Cappuccinos, quiche, and tarts...a blissful end. My parents dropped me off with some money, extra food (thanks Sammons's gene), and hugs.
My time in London with Kit Kat and Danny have reminded me how truly lovely my parents are. Never afraid to be themselves in any country, they have given me the confidence to do the same. I am trying to find ways to remember every moment together, as I will cherish these past few days for the rest of my life.
Soon I am off for my first University of Westminster event, a pub evening. We shall see how that goes. Love and miss you all.
I am so excited for you! I am sure you will have a fabulous time. Send pictures of your flat!
ReplyDeleteIt is not much of anything :) haha I promise. It kind of makes my room freshman year (not the building, but my actual room) look luxurious! I don't plan to spend much time here though :)
ReplyDeleteWow. I really enjoyed this post. It was very heartfelt. I look forward to reading more of your posts. You are a good blogger.
ReplyDelete