Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Dreaded Countdown Has Begun...

In one week, I will officially be on U.S. soil. As someone who truly adores America (the 4th is my favorite holiday after all), I am not ready to journey back to the States. I, of course, miss my family terribly, but I find my life in London to be quite invigorating. As I was discussing with Andrew the other night, when graduate school comes in 2 years, I will be fully prepared to sneak away from Phoenix for a bit. (However, I do believe Phoenix will always be my permanent home.) Back to my European journey...I am sorry it has been a few days since my last blog post. It's funny, I realized after Sunday that I have such little time left, so I have been packing it all in.

Monday was a wonderful day in my class, we met in the City of London, did a walking tour of some of the fabulous sites, and toured the Museum of London. I have vowed to go back to St. Paul's though, because I need a proper amount of time to take in this architectural beauty. Following a pub lunch, we walked across the Millennium Bridge (GORGEOUS VIEWS FROM HERE!!!), and took a tour of the Globe Theatre. I felt so privileged to walk through this wonderfully historic place...even if it is a replica. I am tempted to see a show there, but I am not too sold on what's on at the moment.

Thanks to a double-decker bus and my favorite bakery's coffee (I needed the shot of caffeine), I then navigated to meet Andrew at the Ritz. Let me tell you...the way he travels is VERY different from what I have been experiencing. We ran a few errands, and the went to the Dukes Bar. I drank Pellegrino, Andrew did not. As I have relayed to my parents, seeing someone from home was such a relief. I just love my brothers, and I felt so relaxed and thankful to be able to talk freely. He was able to give me some advice about the remainder of my college and graduate school plans. We also laughed at some of my London memories with our parents (sorry Dad...most of it was at your expense). I finished the night with a bowl of cereal (very Kitty Broderick) and wrote my final article for my class.

Yesterday was busy, busy, busy! I had a quick lecture in the morning, and then ran through the rain in order to make my tour time for Buckingham Palace's opening day. This may be one of my favorite few hours I have had thus far. I went with two of my girlfriends, but it was the best tour to break off and enjoy solo. The grandeur of this building is beyond explanation, and the gardens are absolutely beautiful. I must go back on a future trip. I cannot even imagine calling this mammoth of a structure my home. Later in the afternoon, Erin and I bought tickets to see Love Never Dies (the Phantom sequel) for Saturday, and we all went on a Harry Potter walk. Following SEVERAL hours of walking and some tasty gelato, I stumbled into bed pretty early last night.

This morning I woke up, and met my class outside the Saatchi Gallery. This space houses beautiful exhibitions of modern British artists. Some of the work was a bit too eccentric and out there for me, but others was truly magnificent. (I was even able to take pictures!!!) I am currently in a random cafe in Nottinghill. I plan to rummage through a local bookstore next, and meet Andrew later for who knows what.

I cannot wait to see your beautiful faces soon. Love you all.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Daddy. But he gives so much material, what's a girl to do?

    Can't wait to see you in a few days. Pack in the fun.

    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you doing on your bucket list? All done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun to catch up on your travels, what a journey you are on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Jules--I am nearly done with my bucket list! I had a picnic in Regent's Park today. I still have a few more things to do though, but all in all...I have been quite successful :)

    ReplyDelete