Friday, July 16, 2010

Feeling like Miss Independent

I always intend on blogging every night, but sometimes my eyes just do not want to stay open. I apologize for the delay, and now I have lots to report.

It is already clear that yesterday will be a highlight of my trip. Through my scholarship program I was able to meet the Lord Mayor of London. For those of you who do not know much about the political structure of London, do not worry. To be honest, I did not even understand it before I won this award. The City of London is a square mile, and is the piece of land the Romans occupied over one thousand years ago. It is the heart of London's financial district, and truly a special place. Following a quick exchange with the Lord Mayor (look up his duties...quite interesting), we were ushered into Guildhall and got to sit in on a council meeting. As I was within this cavernous space, I attempted to soak up the history in this structure. I wish I could have taken pictures to share with you! My friend Jeff, however, does have the photo with the three of us and the Lord Mayor. I will post it as soon as I get it myself!

After a long, (somewhat boring), but still very enthralling meeting, I concluded that the dynamics of a passionate/serious group does not change. The same politics, rolling of eyes, and laughter that is present in my ASU organizations, was present at Guildhall. Jeff, Erin, and I left this meeting reminded once again of how blessed we are. Lunch on St. Paul's steps and another West End adventure (Sweet Charity with Erin!) ensured a near perfect day.

I love Fridays even more here, because they mean no class! Originally I was stumped on how to fill this bit of free time, but of course, I decided to see another show. I am now a West End addict. (Soon I will be introducing myself as, "Hi, I'm Maggie, and I'm a theatre-aholic.") I managed to snag fabulous seats to Phantom, and spent the afternoon with Erin at Tate Modern, which is very similar to MoMA in NYC. I did enjoy this museum, but have come to decide that the classic artwork in the National Gallery is more up my alley.

If I have noticed any change within myself over the past week, I am definitely more independent. For the first time in my life, I am truly content doing things by myself. I enjoy my own company, and my solo experience at Phantom was perfect. Everyone has raved about this show, and I was a bit skeptical that it could live up to its reputation. Nevertheless, it did! Phantom of the Opera is by far the most romantic, elaborate, and overwhelming performance I have ever witnessed. I feel like I need to see it several more times to even appreciate it. Such a good use of my money...

Tomorrow I am off to Northern England with my school program. I plan on bringing my computer with me, and I hope to blog before I return on Sunday night. If not, know that I am safe, happy, and missing you all. I love each and every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment