Friday, July 30, 2010

Indian Food, Final Farewells, Regent's Park, & Brighton Beach

I know I have said this before...but I really mean it this time: so much has happened since I last wrote. I finished off Wednesday meeting Andrew for drinks at the Duke (where I met a few of his colleagues), and then I consumed one of the best meals of my entire life. Thank you Tamarind for teasing me with fabulous Indian food that I will never match at home. Once again, I had a wonderful evening with my brother (though Nicky...I still miss you everyday). I am so happy I got to see family my last week, it put me in the perfect mood for the final few days.

Yesterday may have been one of my favorite days spent in London. It was my last class, and I ended up being a lot more sad with its completion than I thought I would. The two Russian girls in my class were perpetually late (and even absent the last week), so there were only 6 people (including my professor) who were around day in and day out. Thus, we became quite close. We had a mini-lecture and then walked up to Regent's Park for a goodbye picnic. This afternoon was so idyllic...it was the PERFECT way to finish a wonderful course. We exchanged stories, and were able to properly say goodbye during this time and a bit more later on at the gala that night.

I arrived at the Farewell Gala surprised at how sad I was. I looked around and did not recognize half of the individuals there (students and professors), but I found my class and instructor...that's all I needed. The six of us chatted all night, and I found myself quite sad when the few hours were up. We managed to take some pictures and laugh a ton. (My love of chocolate puzzled my Chinese friend Bo who said: "If a man wants to marry you, all he needs to do is give you lots of Cadbury." Am I that easy to understand? ) Bo even gave me a bookmark from her home country for good luck (as a birthday gift). I will definitely stay in touch with these incredible people. I will also miss seeing them everyday.

A group of my friends and I ended our day walking through Regent's Park (and its BEAUTIFUL Rose Garden. We changed into warm clothes, traveled back into the city, ate sushi, and walked around Trafalgar Square. My friend Ben introduced me to fabulously yummy gelato, and I went to bed with a tummy full of sweets.

Today Erin, Jeff, and I went to Brighton Beach for the day. No pictures I took can really do it justice. It reminded us all of San Francisco, but with more accessible beaches. We ended up freezing for most of the day, but spent plenty of time shopping in the amazing district, reading in a cafe (together of course), eating on the beach, and hopping back on the train to go home. (For those of you who are wondering...I have only 40 pages ;eft of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. If it weren't for my friends being with me, I would have totally been anti-social today as I attempted to finish the book. However, I still plan on doing so once I finish this post!) I am so thankful that the three of us mesh so well, today was an ideal way to end our last Friday in this country.

This weekend will be nothing but markets, Portobello tomorrow and Camden on Sunday. Erin and I are also seeing Love Never Dies Saturday afternoon. I promise to write soon (hopefully tomorrow). There's almost no time left.

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment