Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why Worry? Because I do.


I wish I was one of those people who could go with the flow. It's something that I most definitely want to work on. I cannot tell you how many people originally thought I was intense/intimidating/fill-in-the-blank-with-a-not-so-great adjective. 

I have to admit that their opinions had merit. When I am meeting someone for the first time, it's not uncommon that I am either silent or overly talkative. Either way, my extreme first impression tends to not be the most welcoming. My worries have also been debilitating. My mind races for hours sometimes and I literally cannot find the source of the anxiousness.

Thankfully, when I look back at my college years, if there is one way I have truly transformed it's that I have mellowed. (NOTE: my friends who have met in college don't believe this, but you should have seen/talked to/known me before.) Though I can better handle looming deadlines and stress-worthy moments, the "small stuff" continues to suck up unnecessary time/energy. Do you know what gets me anxious on a daily basis? Parking and lines. It seems so ridiculous as I type this out, but so very true. I would rather wait 30 minutes to an hour than rush in at the last moment for any concert, fiesta, and really any other type of event. Most of the time I am overly cautious and very ridiculous for my early arrivals, but it has been my way to cope.

Here's to 2013. May it be the year that I actually breathe and let go. Somehow I think this will be a lifelong struggle, but we have to start somewhere, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment