People spend their whole lives searching for something, for a feeling of "this is it." Whatever it is, I don't know for sure, but I think it has to do with a long awaited search for happiness, for purpose, for acceptance. The pursuit of happiness rules so many people's lives, and I will not allow it to control mine.
There's a debate that happiness is the journey, not the destination. Happiness can be found in the blessings already bestowed upon us. Happiness is a choice. Happiness is always around us. Happiness is this, happiness is that.
Honestly, I don't find think any simple, quote-worthy sentence truly defines happiness. However, the one above (from One Tree Hill) somehow manages to encompass most of my thoughts on this topic. (If need be, ignore where it came from, read it again, and realize the truth within the message.)
What I appreciate most about this interpretation of this sought after state is its recognition that happiness, even if found, is not permanent. I am a big believer that we need to experience a range of emotions, date a variety of individuals, travel to all sorts of places, and basically push ourselves to have rich, diverse experiences.
It is impossible to be "happy" 24 hours a day, and that's okay. I think you see someone's true identity when things just aren't going their way. Often we spend most of our lives unhappy because this feeling is easily identified, but we need to train ourselves to reach out and grab those moments of pure perfection. We need imperfection and perfection in order to be a complete person.
Happiness is ephemeral. Its arrival may not solve every problem in our lives or complete the picture of our fairy tale, but we ought to relish the moment(s) we waste so much time waiting for. In 2013 and beyond, let's work to be grateful for happiness bestowed upon us, no matter how long it may last.
I couldn't agree more with you. After looking to the next year for far too long it hit me that happiness was at my fingertips. God gives me so much to be happy about, and I am finally content with the present. In fact, I would much rather freeze the present than move ahead;)
ReplyDeleteI definitely am at one of those "please freeze" moments. I know that is ephemeral is well though, so I am trying to stay as grateful of the present for as long as I can possibly hold on!
DeleteLove this quote! I may have to share it! Great post :)
ReplyDelete