Photo cred: me (El Salvador, March 2009)
El Savador was my first earth-shattering, life-changing, travel experience. I was a freshman in college, and I literally had no idea what I was getting myself into. This picture was taken on my last day, in a moment when I was very reflective, overwhelmed, homesick, etc. (basically a emotional mess).
I came back with altered definitions of mercy, forgiveness, love, community, service, and more. It's been four years, and I wonder all the time what it would be different now if I hopped on that plan to San Salvador. Would I be so affected by the welcoming community of Guarjila? Would I actually keep my promise and come back immediately? Would I still jump headfirst into life as a Tamarindo? Would I be so nervous to speak Spanish? Would it all be the same?
I hope 2013 offers up another paradigm shift. I don't necessarily have to travel to open up my preconceptions, beliefs, and heart to something completely foreign. Sometimes I just need to be quiet and see the world around me without the distractions of technology and silly worries. It's going to be tough, but I am going to make it happen.
New personal goal: to be taken back to this simple, authentic state that was filled with respect for the present moment and love of those around me. I hope the same for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment