Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Stop Saving
Lynzy got me thinking. Her post today reminded me that I really need to start spending, instead of saving (minus indulging on my clothes obsession).
I am a saver. I like the knowledge that I have endless reserves of time/energy, love, and money, but there's a point when all of it won't matter. We all know that we won't live forever, so I am going to work towards actually enjoying my life and not waiting until tomorrow.
TIME/ENERGY: my mom is the best person for reminding me that I can sleep when I die. She is sure to tell me on a daily basis that this silly, lovely, carefree part of my life won't last for much longer. With her encouragement, I have been saying "yes" more often when I have received invitations to go to a movie, dinner, etc. Though I am a complete homebody, I do actually have to step outside my front door to learn and grow. Even if I am tired the next day, aren't the memories worth it?!
LOVE: is what we all cannot wait to find. People dedicate their years on Earth to finding "the one," much like they search for the evasive "happiness." There's nothing wrong with believing in romance, in thoughts filled with the images/memories of a certain someone, in dreams of a life with with him/her. In order to prepare our hearts and minds to getting to the point where we are ready to love, we have to be open to it. We have to start giving love, and that person will find us.
MONEY: kind of runs everyone's lives, and I hate that. I realize that I am not going to magically create this universe in which in financial pressures do not influence one's every decision. However, I am going to work more towards allowing my wanderlust spirit to guide my life. The looming costs of graduate school have deterred me from jumping on a plane for weekend getaways. For example, my brother/best friends live in LA and I haven't visited them in their new hometown in 8ish months. Crazy, I tell you. (NOTE: I have serious plans to change my money/travel plans in a way that still somehow manages to fit into my budget. It's amazing what you can come up with when you get creative.)
Life is all about balance, but with few responsibilities as a 22 year old woman, I just want to start spending. I want to start discovering. I want to let go of control. I want no regrets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment