I take pride in my independent and developed ability to spend time by myself. Probably my most favorite solo time is that when I am traveling. There's nothing more wonderful than the anticipation of a new adventure, city, cuisine, people, etc. I love sharing these memories with someone else, but I also cherish the ability to meet my travel partner(s) at our destination.
If you find yourself traveling solo, here are some of my tips:
1. Bring plenty sources of entertainment: I usually bring a few magazines, a book, my iPad or iPod, snacks, etc. Whether you are traveling with or without someone, these luxuries are pricey if you purchase at the airport.
2. Download before your trip: I have learned the hard way that airports, even in major cities, do not have the most reliable WiFi Trying to purchase/download a movie to occupy your time during a delay isn't always feasible. (During my recent trip to NM, I "rented/downloaded" "Salmon Fishing in Yemen" so many times with no luck. Silly iTunes wasn't able to load fully.)
3. Keep you ID, liquids (in a plastic bag for security), electronics, and other items to be scanned separately, in an easily accessible place. I usually wear minimal jewelry and pack with these items on top of everything else in my luggage. It's aggravating when you are digging through all of your belongings, trying to locate everything, and holding up the line, especially when you don't have an extra set of hands helping you out.
4. Avoid eye contact: now this one is really up to you. I typically like to take advantage of these trips to do some serious musing. I rarely take the time to enjoy my own company, and I have had my fair share of awkward, long-winded, and/or slightly creepy exchanges with strangers en route. (NOTE: I am also overly careful about this one because I treasure this quiet time, and I realize that I sound completely anti-social with this one, but I am being honest here!)
5. Ignore your work: if possible, take a step back from your daily stress of work, school, etc. I think there's nothing better than recharging and just letting your mind turn to jello. I usually travel on quick weekend trips, so I can disengage from the real world without many problems. However, if you are in the midst of midterms, finals, big due dates, and/or project deadlines, set aside one leg of your trip to just be. I think it's preferable to do this at the beginning of your trip because you can go into your adventure with a fresh/calm perspective.
Anything you do/bring/prepare for solo trips? If so, do tell :)

"I take pride in my independent and developed ability to spend time by myself"
ReplyDeleteI love this and 100% relate.