Monday, April 1, 2013

MMM: Day by Day

 photo daybyday.jpg
via

DISCLAIMER: I am all about the shoot-for-the-stars-while-making-endless-inspiration-boards kind of dreaming, but I also believe that you cannot live so far in the future that you don't recognize what's right in front of you. Most of what the future will bring is out of our control, so take the time to focus on today.

Easier said than done, right? Well, if I have learned anything in the last eleven months of post-college life, I can tell you that by creating purposeful short-term (rather than just long-term goals), you will save yourself a lot of heartache and calories. (My go-to stress food combo: Wacky Pack. Somehow corn dogs, tater  tots, and a root beer make it all better. And I wonder why my favorite shorts didn't fit after many midnight-runs to Sonic...)

I am a big believer that if you work hard, stay connected to those who have been good to you, and go the extra mile at work/school (volunteer to take on special projects, go to guest lectures, etc.), your efforts will pay off. Life never unfolds the exact way that you want or expect it to, but at least for me, the last year has brought some of the most challenging, yet rewarding surprises.

When you focus on the day-to-day tasks, you actually are able to appreciate and relish in the present moment. If you are only focused on one year, two years, or even five years down the road, you may cut yourself off from opportunities that would have been life-changing and necessary at this second. 

 By keeping an open mind and aiming to rock all of your to-do's today, then your future path makes itself clear in an (almost) effortless and a very authentic way. Leave the nonstop stressing for tomorrow for a later date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment