via
I believe very strongly that you must appreciate your surroundings, even if they are temporary. There's no way any of us should be wasting our time complaining about our uncultured/boring/other-negative-adjective hometown.
I am fortunate to live in the vibrant and innovative Phoenix, Arizona. Despite the fact that I question why I live here every summer, I know that even with the oven-like summers, this is my home. My family is a big reason why I feel so rooted to this city in the desert, but as I have grown older, I have formed my own personal connections.
This past weekend was filled with some of my most favorite Phoenix-y activities (i.e. great reminders of why I am meant to live here):
+ An endless number of local restaurants that make sure the foodie in me is never hungry. I went on two dates with my dad, one here and another here, along with trying out this amazingly yummy and affordable brunch spot with my close friend. I also took part in the festivities celebrating the 5-year anniversary of this restaurant. (I feel like I need to make a few extra trips to the gym after reflecting on my calorie intake this weekend. Oh well, life's too short to say no to fabulous food. Life's all about balance, right?)
+ Large events that bring people together to honor those who have sacrificed it all.
+ Innovative community events like the SWAP organized by CO-OPhx that connect Phoenix's residents in a casual, welcoming environment.
My MMM advice for you: stop saying you are going to explore your hometown, and actually do it. Go to that art festival that you always drive by, grab dinner at that cool new restaurant in town, and/or walk around the park that you haven't been to since childhood.
Start living. Stop complaining. Don't wait until you move to some place better. You may even find yourself falling in love with the place you have always wanted to leave. If anything, you will be making memories, meeting new people, and not wasting a moment of this precious life you were given.
I believe very strongly that you must appreciate your surroundings, even if they are temporary. There's no way any of us should be wasting our time complaining about our uncultured/boring/other-negative-adjective hometown.
I am fortunate to live in the vibrant and innovative Phoenix, Arizona. Despite the fact that I question why I live here every summer, I know that even with the oven-like summers, this is my home. My family is a big reason why I feel so rooted to this city in the desert, but as I have grown older, I have formed my own personal connections.
This past weekend was filled with some of my most favorite Phoenix-y activities (i.e. great reminders of why I am meant to live here):
+ An endless number of local restaurants that make sure the foodie in me is never hungry. I went on two dates with my dad, one here and another here, along with trying out this amazingly yummy and affordable brunch spot with my close friend. I also took part in the festivities celebrating the 5-year anniversary of this restaurant. (I feel like I need to make a few extra trips to the gym after reflecting on my calorie intake this weekend. Oh well, life's too short to say no to fabulous food. Life's all about balance, right?)
+ Large events that bring people together to honor those who have sacrificed it all.
+ Innovative community events like the SWAP organized by CO-OPhx that connect Phoenix's residents in a casual, welcoming environment.
My MMM advice for you: stop saying you are going to explore your hometown, and actually do it. Go to that art festival that you always drive by, grab dinner at that cool new restaurant in town, and/or walk around the park that you haven't been to since childhood.
Start living. Stop complaining. Don't wait until you move to some place better. You may even find yourself falling in love with the place you have always wanted to leave. If anything, you will be making memories, meeting new people, and not wasting a moment of this precious life you were given.

I absolutely love my hometown in California but appreciating where I go to school (Tucson) is a lot harder for me. I think I'm just not a desert person but last semester I really did try and see what Tucson had to offer. (Lots of small coffee shops and pretty darn good food!)
ReplyDeleteWell, I have to say that Tucson isn't my thing either, but college towns are all about the University experience. I have tons of suggestions for Phoenix if you ever make your way up. Any ideas where you will end up when you graduate?
Deletei completely agree! i love being a tourist where i live. i also started writing down a list of places i want to visit and restaurants so i explore more and not just go to all the same palces all the time
ReplyDeleteI love me a list, but my problem is, I have a hard time actually making everything happen. I get so excited with all the possibilities, that I end up getting overwhelmed. haha, I am such a dork! Here's to crossing some items off both of our lists!
Delete