You know those page-turning books that make you countdown to your next free moment, whether it be your afternoon break or few minutes before bed? (This nerdy high is what has kept me up late at night through the years, devouring my newest novel.) Well, look no further, Shauna Niequist's Bread & Wine is just that. I have heard many a thing about Niequist's way with words, her ability to connect to the core of an emotion, and her sense of humor that make you laugh along with her. With all that being said, Bread & Wine lived up to all of my lofty expectations.
This book is the perfect combination of personal, mouth-watering recipes and the memories that Shauna has connected to each and every meal she shares. I finished the book wanting to be a part of her cooking club, a frequent guest at her table, and a personal friend to benefit from her endless advice. Her voice is approachable, honest, and downright hilarious.
Shauna combined what I cherish/love/enjoy most in life: faith, family, friends, and food in a way that so many people will enjoy. (I already plan on buying Bread & Wine for so many women in my life.)
And because I really cannot do the book justice in a few short paragraphs, below is one of my favorite excerpts from the book about how life has a way of delivering magical, table-turning, unplanned moments. (No spoilers, I promise.)
"You never know while it's happening what will burn in your memory, sacred and profound. It seems like most of the things we try to make profound rarely are, lost in our insistence and fretting and posing. When we want something to be momentous it rarely is. Life is disobedient in that way, insisting on surprising us with its magic, stubbornly unwilling to be glittery on command."
-Shauna Niequist
Now go out there and buy a copy, I promise you won't regret it!

I'm definitely going to look into reading this book! Thanks for the recommendation! :)
ReplyDelete