Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Greatest Fear(s): Things That Are All-Consuming

NOTE: This is my daily link-up for Jenni's May Blog Challenge. Learn more about this blogging extravaganza here

Fear #1: Large Bodies of Water

Fear #2: Blake Holes

I will start off by saying this: my fears are 100% irrational. As much as I may try to explain it to someone else, I still end up feeling silly by the end of the conversation, without fail. Alas, here's my attempt...

1. Doesn't seem too far off the mark, right?! Drowning in a large (or even small) body of water is completely terrifying. My family jokes that I the only logical explanation for this debilitating fear is that I must have died on the Titanic in a past life. Who knows its source, but from a very young age I could barely tolerate boats (we are talking medium-level freak out at the Pearl Harbor memorial), and I have to close my eyes even during underwater scenes in movies (Finding Nemo even got me). Most of the time I don't let it get the best of me, especially when I am traveling, but I am nowhere near going on a cruise. Staying on land is just fine by me. 

2. So many people get a kick out of this one. Yes, I am COMPLETELY scared of black holes. This all started way back in the third grade when a librarian read a book to my elementary class about space, specifically about this type of phenomena. She stressed that they come so quickly that we don't even know what's going on, let alone have time to say goodbye to our families. WHATTT?! Why was this even a good idea to share with little ones? My seven year old self was heartbroken, distraught, and overwhelmed by this impending doom. From then on I have not been the biggest fan of any sort of space exploration talk, movies, etc. I can confidently say that a trip into space is one of the only travel adventures I will not have to save up for.

So there you have it, I have a fear of things that are all-consuming, things so powerful in nature that we have little to no way of preventing them from happening. When I think about it, they both speak to my control freak tendencies, but even that doesn't give me too much clarity. All I know today is that they are for real, no joke. So next time you go snorkeling or perhaps even watch Star Trek, think of me...



1 comment:

  1. I get the all-consumning part of fear. And don't even worry about your fears being irrational, I am the queen of irrational fear. It's fairly ridiculous and I'll admit it but at the same time, I'm still afraid. :)

    ReplyDelete