After interminable days of driving across town multiple times while juggling my three part-times, I have a difficult time remembering the purpose of each one in my life. (It goes back to being stuck regretting the past or worrying about the future, and not living in the present.) When I take a few moments to breathe, I recognize that I am learning to multi-task like never before, and I am constantly introduced to new ideas, organizations, and movements. I am right where I need to be.
88bikes is an organization that I would have never known about if one of my bosses had not told me about it this summer. I love that it connects individuals to actual children who receive the donated bikes. (Check out the video above for this history and mission of the org! I cannot do it justice.)
In the video, Dan Austin (one of the Co-Founders) talks about the "Tsunami of Happiness" that he experienced during his first delivery of bikes overseas. Even though I watched this video months ago, I continue to wonder what it would feel like to be in a place of such pure joy. This is the kind of service that I believe in, and I hope to someday be a part of a movement that directly impacts others on such a personal level. For the recipients of the bikes, their young lives are forever changed with the freedom that comes with transportation. It is now easier for them to attend school, hold down a job, etc. The possibilities are endless.
If you have a person or group of people who always say, "I have everything I could ever want or need" or "I don't want anything," follow my lead and buy a bike in their name. It's the perfect way to both celebrate this season of giving and spread the word about 88bikes :)
No comments:
Post a Comment