As the country approaches the first Tuesday of November, we should come together, united by the fact that have the ability to influence the direction of our nation by voting. Instead, elections are plagued by an inundation of commercials, news specials, etc. that either completely bash or support a particular candidate. By the time that November 6th came around this year, I was so frustrated with the whole process that I counted down the minutes until the final tallies were announced.
Now don't you think I am one of those people who identify never-ending faults present in the USA. Everyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I am a VERY proud American. My favorite holiday is the Fourth of July after all. Sure I love the bbq food, relaxed vibe, and summer family time, but what I love most is that it is a day to simply celebrate our country. For a short time, I feel like people recognize and appreciate the sacrifices others have and continue to make to preserve the liberties we often take for granted.
This is what election season should be about. I understand that politics, at its very core, proves to be cutthroat, but there's nothing worse than seeing individuals tear down and judge their peers. What's worst, is that average citizens even take it upon themselves to criticize friends/acquaintances with different opinions. Shouldn't we appreciate the fact that others may disagree with us? Only by truly understanding the other side, can we further develop our own opinions. I believe we need respectful, dynamic conversations in order to grow as human beings.
It's crazy that an international sporting event can bring the country together, but national elections continue to divide citizens. (I realize that the latter is obviously more important for the direction of our country, but I can't discount the unity present during the former.) I hope that in my lifetime people try to reflect the patriotism present during the Olympic Games, even if it requires a bit of daydreaming and only lasts a few seconds. When it comes down to it, we are so blessed to live in a country with choices, diversity, and a voice. Somehow we forgot all of this between August and November. Let's work to ensure that we don't repeat history moving forward.

No comments:
Post a Comment