As someone who is constantly thinking about what's on my agenda next, I often have to stop and reward myself after hours of tireless work. "Play time" should not end when we enter adulthood. (Regardless, I wish we still had scheduled recess and nap time. I would be so much more productive in the afternoons.) For me, I know that I need that time to decompress even more so now.
My "play" time can be simple: read a book, watch a mind-jello television (Bravo: I am forever grateful), Skype with a friend across the country, or go out to eat (nothing better than food to distract me). However, the best way to alleviate stress comes in the form of my two year old niece. Somehow running through the house, singing silly songs, and participating in imaginary tea parties, puts everything else into perspective.
I do not know where or when I lost this ability to disconnect from the world around me, but I am working my way back to that carefree state. It may be a journey that spans the rest of my life, but I know that it will be worth it. Here's to reconnecting with our inner-child!

No comments:
Post a Comment