Monday, August 20, 2012

The Pursuit of Perfection


The pursuit of perfection is exhausting. It's a never-ending battle to prove to the world and our worst critics (ourselves) that we can juggle every single responsibility we have in our lives. Perfection is not possible, but somehow we have this recurring idea that if we work hard enough in every aspect of our lives, we can get there.

At least this has been my experience in the last twenty-two years of life. (NOTE: I realize that I have much more to learn in my life, but consider this lesson officially learned, or at least recognized.) Perfection has been something that I have struggled with. I have begrudgingly carried the nickname "Miss Perfect" around with me for my entire life, and I honestly have done everything possible to change people's perceptions. Yes, I can juggle multiple responsibilities and maintain quality relationships, but I also don't want people to think that I cannot fail. That particular expectation is one that continues to overwhelm me.

I think that if we continue to believe in perfection than we are on this endless journey to disappointment and dissatisfaction. There is no way that I can remember every appointment without digital reminders or look like I came off the runways on a daily basis. With that being said, I also need to remind myself that this reality of imperfection applies to all human beings.

Some times I find myself saying and doing things to make it seem like my life is filled with perfect people, places, feelings, etc. All of this comes from a place of insecurity, and I am going to make it my mission moving forward to accurately portray who I am. Everyone experiences small (and large) missteps, and only if when we give each other (and ourselves) the freedom to fail will we ever develop into stronger and happier individuals. A little bit (or a lot) of imperfect moments are humbling and necessary.

New goal: I aim to reach a state of grace, not one of perfection. I promise to keep you all updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment