Hi everyone. As most of you all hopefully know, I am here safe. Some things I already LOVE: the fact that I can understand most of the Spanish I hear, fried plantains, fincas de chayotes, and much more.
I am staying with a host family comprised of two sisters, one who has a three year old son, and their mother. There are two other ASU students along the same street, and I am even sharing a room with another girl from my program. Already my Spanish skills have been put to the test, but I am happy to report that the natives think I can actually converse!
Today we went to the ancient capital, Cartago. It is a pilgrimmage site for Catholics, look up La Negrita. Her story is very similar to Our Lady of Guadalupe, and get this...her feast and celebration starts on August 2nd. Every year about a million people congregate in the area to pay tribute to this religious figure. Others come to hopefully be cured of any illnesses, whether it be infertility or cancer. We also managed to go through the local market, try some interesting fruit, and learn the names of tropical produce.
We later went to a farm that produces everything from chayotes to coconuts. I promise pictures are to come. The weather was very kind to us, and it did not start raining until the end of our tour. For those of you who are wondering...my lion's mane has reappeared with a vengeance.
I miss all of you. Tomorrow is our first official day of language school. I promise to update again soon.
Besos.
No comments:
Post a Comment