DISCLAIMER: This is in fact a Mother Maggie Monday post on a Tuesday, forgive me.
I live for
the moments when someone says something that completely resonates with me. I
like that energized feeling, the repetition of the powerful phrase, and the self-reflection
that follows. The message doesn't have to be complicated. As a matter of fact,
usually the simplest ideas are the ones that I can connect with the most.
Typically
these moments of clarity are presented to me at church, and I often find
support for the message in my everyday life. This past Sunday the homily was
focused on our desire to define how God should be, instead of accepting the way
He is. Well goodness, I am guilty of this. I certainly like to control way too
much in my life. I want my God, family, and friends to fit the image that I
believe to be the best. I want a God that is interwoven in my life when I am
ready to be faithful. I want my family to be emotionally available when I need ‘em.
I want my friends to do and say everything at just the right time and in the
right way. (And that is what we call a length list of unrealistic
expectations.)
Though I think it is human nature to fall into this trap, I have to
surrender to the truth that I am not omniscient. Believe it or not, this 23 year-old
doesn’t know everything. Isn’t that hard to imagine? I need to find a way to integrate
my faith and loved ones in my life without a desire to mold them to serve my
best interests. Not sure how I am going to reach this place of acceptance, but
it’s my new goal to find a way to get there.
Are you struggling with something similar? Have you found a way to
let go of control? If so, please share! I certainly need all the help I can
get.

Letting go is such a struggle. I think the way I have learned to let go more is really practicing the art of saying out loud, "He's got this." If I say it in my head it doesn't mean that much but when I say it out loud, it holds more weight. I can help push my life into certain directions and make choices but ultimately, He's going to mold us into who we are supposed to be, who we are supposed to have in our life and where we are meant to be. :)
ReplyDeletei'm right there with you on the control thing. honestly moving to spain was probably the biggest struggle in letting go because i literally couldn't control anything between the language barrier, foreign country and complete ridiculousness of the way things run over there. now back at home i feel so much more relaxed and not struggling so much to be in control... i mean i still like and want to be in control just not to the same degree
ReplyDelete