Thursday, June 6, 2013

My NYC Goodbye Trip

View of Lower Manhattan from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

A clever sign outside a large brewery

A much-needed People's Pop Strawberry Popsicle (obsessed with Smorgasburg)

Reunion with some of my favorite high school girls

Solid breakfast on our final day

Quintessential NYC moment: Sunday Yoga in the Park (I sadly just watched)

Walk through Central Park with my other half

I just had to take a picture, too perfect

The nerd in me has to stop and look at the Public Library every NYC visit

My other half is headed to NYU for graduate school in the fall. This long weekend was planned when she was still deciding between a few final programs, but she recently decided The Big Apple was where she belonged.

We spent the weekend navigating the city via the subways, and here are some other highlights that are not pictured above:

+ Visit to the 9/11 Memorial: we were in shock with how moving and overwhelming this short visit was to the both us. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on that tragic morning, as does every other American, and we felt like we needed to pay a visit with the memorial almost complete. It's incredible how much thought went into every detail. If you have the chance to look, notice the names placed together at both towers. A special algorithm organized all of the names of those died that day next to others' who they worked with, were friends with etc. I would definitely recommend visiting if you have the time.

+ Window shopping/glasses adjustment at Warby: I came out of the experience with two new pairs of glasses on my lust list. How can you say no to orange frames?!

+ Brunch at Juliette: we were lucky enough to walk right in and get a table, but I hear the wait is usually crazy. Be sure to order a Mango Mimosa if you are celebrating something special. 

+ Kinky Boots on Broadway: find a way to see this show when it comes to you. It's based off a film, which I own and love, and the music by Cyndi Lauper is downright hilarious, poignant, and incredibly fun. (People were literally dancing during intermission.) There's nothing better than live theatre, especially when you get to experience it one week before the Tony's, and the show is nominated for 14 awards! This is easily one of, if not my new, all-time favorites.

+ Final afternoon at The Met: My cousin and I went to as many exhibitions as possible, but of course, you could spend hundreds of hours in this museum and not see it all. (We loved the Punk exhibit that's there until August.) We definitely are going to tackle another wing or two on my next visit. No trip is complete without at least sitting on its steps!

We jammed so many activities and lifelong memories into 72 hours, and I wouldn't have it any other way. With a few tears I said bye to my cousin until Christmas (the longest we have ever gone without seeing each other is one month, until now). I am so very proud of her, and I cannot wait to come see her here again. 

What are your favorite things to do in the City?

1 comment: