My mind has been riddled with comparisons lately and I don't like it. I truly believe that as humans we naturally have insecurities that ebb and flow, with particular points when these silly thoughts fill our brains more than usual. Instead of recognizing the endless joys in our lives, we focus on the minute details that just aren't quite right.
Though I take responsibility for this recent trip to Comparisonville, I also think that social media has been my vehicle to that defeating, dream-crushing place. I really believe that Facebook, Instagram, blogs, Pinterest, etc. allow for us to depict any sort of picture to the world. I do not think that the message we send is always authentic, because we often use these outlets to highlight the most luxurious, thrilling, envy-worthy happenings in our lives with our vast social network.
Meanwhile, I realize that I am being contradictory as I use a blog to express these thoughts, but for now, it seems like the most cathartic and appropriate forum to start this conversation. I would hope that I can use my online presence to genuinely connect with others in an honest way. This is my most recent personal goal. Instead of spending endless hours stalking friends and acquaintances (if we could even call them that), I want to dedicate this free time to the things that bring joy to my life: playdates with my niece, Skype dates with friends around the world, moments stolen to read my latest book, and so much more.
God created me for a specific purpose. Instead of wasting my time analyzing the achievements of others, I am going to look for more ways to align my life with what He intended for me. I want to spend my life serving others and not on liking statuses, commenting on photos, and pinning the latest trend.
Please send prayers and good thoughts my way. The road to finding and, most importantly, recognizing joy is a lifelong one.

No comments:
Post a Comment