Hi everyone! Today is the end of my first school week in CR. I have to say, the time has certainly flown by and I have enjoyed nearly every moment.
Today was very similar to yesterday. We had our regular class this morning, with our coffee break half-way through, and a charla in the afternoon. We walked to the University of Costa Rica for lunch, and were able to tour the campus with our teacher who is an alum. The grounds look more like a nature reserve than an actual school, but I guess that can be said for most of the country.
It was nice to be around a large amount of people who are all similar ages as my group, yet I know I stuck out as an obvious gringa. There is just no way to avoid that! We also managed to grab some lunch in their cafeteria, which looks more like a high school lunch room than the MU. Regardless, the food was yummy and cheap...pastel con pollo y papa, ensalada, y platanos.
Our charla was over a topic we have already learned a lot about, ecotourism. Costa Rica is known for its environmental movements, but what people do not often recognize is that it has lost more of its rainforests than any other country. A local professor from UCR was incredible in explaining the interdependence of the entire ecosystem and the ticos themselves.
By the end of the afternoon, I was even more excited for our trip this weekend. We are headed to Monteverde, the cloud rainforest, and the Arenal Volcano. I promise to send you a wonderfully descriptive blog post on Sunday, until then though, I doubt I will have internet access. I want to make sure you all know, that I absolutely adore this trip. Yesterday was an off day, but I would drop just about anything to come back with every one of you. Thankfully, I think I can even interpret for us all...maybe everyone except Andrew that is.
Things I love today: plantains, hand-made jewelry, cheap college food, sunny mornings and rainy afternoons, sports bars that play NBA games, the ability to walk everywhere, and graffiti art. Until Sunday...
Besos.
No comments:
Post a Comment