Hi everyone. Forgive me for taking so long to write on my blog. As I discussed with my parents last night, it has been very difficult for me to update you all frequently. I have no internet access on our weekend trips, and even on the regular weeknights, I have had quite a bit of homework. Plus, I am a bit of a grandma, thankfully my roommate is too, and we end up passing out before 11 PM.
This weekend was the most wonderful experience. When people talk about seeing some of God's breathtaking creations, now I have distinct visual images in my mind. We started off the adventure with a long and bumpy ride to the Arenal Volcano. The countryside reminded me of Ireland, a patchwork of green. On the other hand, it is quite sad to view because the majority of the land is now used for ranching, while a century ago, it was entirely rainforest.
After four hours of roadtripping, we stopped at La Fortuna, una catarata or waterfall. It is definitely an unforgettable sight, and the most impressive one I have ever seen. I even swam in the small pool of water with my friends after the hike, the fish and cold temperature did not deter me! However, the climb back up to our car caused an asthma attack. I sounded like a lifelong smoker, but I survived. We then ended the evening with yet more driving, and arrived at the Arenal Observatory Hotel. Basically, it is the closest you can stay next to the active volcano. Look up pictures! Thanks be to God, we were lucky enough to see it on a clear day, which almost never happens.
The following morning a few of us went on another hike of the hotel property, saw una otra catarata very close, and we all we quite ready for breakfast when that came around. Following the checking-out process, we drove several hours around the most clear, prestine lake next to Arenal in order to make our way to Monteverde, the rainforest region. In the afternoon, we hiked through this protected region, and with my asthma intact, the 100% humidity was the only true bummer. Nevertheless, mid-hike we stood at the Contential Divide, and watched the clouds roll in. Later in the evening, we had dinner at our hotel, which was like a wood cabin with all kinds of bugs that became our friends. The day ended with a group adventure into town, Santa Elena, for a drink at a bar full of Americans...so typical in this touristy areas.
On Sunday we had the time of our lives. We were able to take another guided hike through the rainforest, across LONG suspension bridges, while learning even more abou the animals and plants inside. Next, most of the group took the Sky Tram up to the top of a mountain, and then we ziplined through the clouds. Truthfully, I cannot remember a more peaceful moment than traveling by cable and being completely surrounded by clouds. The longest line was 2500 feet long, and over 1000 feet high. It really is difficult to describe in words. After this wonderful excursion, we made our way back to San Jose. However, a huge storm delayed us for an hour or so. Thanks be to God for the yummy, road-side restaurants.
Yesterday and today were very much like last week. With classes in the morning and and charlas in the afternoon, my Spanish is definitely being put to the test. Now we are focusing more on oral presentations and reading. Every day I try to challenge myself in a different way. Today offered us a wonderful break in the form of a famous muscian, who not only played his music for us, but also gave the presentation in English! I was so happy to give my mind a rest.
There is so much more to say, but this is all I can give you for now. I have taken countless photos, and I cannot wait to show them all to you. I am not sure when I will write next, but definitely by Thursday night, before our next trip if anything else. Miss you all oh so much.
Besos.
No comments:
Post a Comment