Monday, August 2, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Anyone that spends time with me knows that I LOVE LOVE LOVE (x infinity) birthdays. I think everyone deserves a day where they can simply do whatever they want. It's funny, I feel like the past month has been that for me. Everyday I was able to wake up and explore a new location in whatever way I pleased. However, today (yesterday in London) is my actual birthday, and it has been simply blissful. Erin and Jeff made the day absolutely perfect, and I was able to check off the last items off my bucket list.

I wasn't so sure about my day when I first woke up. On August 2nd every year, I look forward to my mom waking me up, while also hearing the voices of my grandparents call at an absurd hour to share with me their birthday wishes. Thankfully, my mom and aunt managed to send me a video with my grandparents singing to me. However, when the video from Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't play sound...I was worried I was starting it off on the wrong foot. I brushed off the bad luck, and was extremely thankful to even see their beautiful faces with or without sound.

Erin and I started off by knocking another thing off our bucket list: St. Paul's Cathedral. We were there when it opened at 9 AM. I loved seeing the city from the viewing point, and after walking up all of those stairs...I deserve the crazy amount of food I consumed today. We then got a snack nearby and went to look for theatre tickets. She wanted to see War Horse (which I saw with Jeff and Ben already), and I was toying with the idea of seeing something on my own. However, Jersey Boys was the only one I wanted to see, and they are closed on Mondays. I decided it was God's way of saying that I needed to spend my night another way.

I then filled a few hours by myself, saying goodbye to my favorite place...the Count Hall cafe. I also got to say goodbye to Alaina (who works there), and she even remembered that it was my birthday (I briefly mentioned it to her). Alaina was so lovely, and gave me a free cupcake (gotta love lemon). We even exchanged e-mails because she wanted mine! I hope I get to see her again. Every time I stole a few hours away in that place, she made me feel so welcome.

After that I went back to my room quickly, then set off for the Strand Palace Hotel where Erin, Jeff, and I had tea. It was a heavenly mixture of food, and they were so sweet to treat me to this fun afternoon! Next, Erin and I went to the National Portrait Gallery so I could see a few of the notable pieces, and then we went to Hyde Park to knock the last thing off my bucket list...the Peter Pan Statue (for Meg Flynn).

I said bye to Erin, and I went off to Regent's Park for one last look at the Rose Garden, and I sat on my favorite bench and read for a bit. Next, I came back to my room and spent some time relaxing. Jeff and I just had our last fish and chips together at some local place, and had the best conversation. We are going to get our last pub experience/blues club experience tonight. No rest for the weary.

Despite the fact that I have been here a month, there's still so much more to see. I will share more of my musings with you tomorrow, but for now I am off to bed. Thankfully, I am nearly packed. I have no idea how it all fit into my suitcase (it seems to be the clown car of luggage), or perhaps some birthday luck. Thank you God for blessing me with such a beautiful place to celebrate in with individuals that made me feel extremely special and loved.

See you all so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment